Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: What do you think of open baffle speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member sunrayjack12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2016
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What do you think of open baffle speakers

    20160705_141941.jpgI built a pair with 515 drivers and 511 horns with 808 hf drivers, they have GPA model 19 crossovers in them, they are unbelievable, especially with jazz.
    I have a lot of altec and it all sounds super, but these really took me by surprise.
    These are not the final product, I just needed to see what they would sound like.
    Last edited by sunrayjack12; July 16th, 2016 at 02:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member ljungberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2016
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    Pictures? Sounds interesting :-)

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member Nickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    sounds like a cool design,

    I really like open baffle speakers and am currently listening to a pair of BG Radia 420i FS in my room. They are open baffle from 450hz up.

    from the description of your speaker, it is even more of a hybrid. I'm guessing open baffle from 1200hz down? Usually some crossover compensation is needed to attain really deep bass and a wing or H frame designed into the baffle to avoid cancelation at lower frequencies.

    You can also build GR Research open baffle sub kits if you really want to hear something special. He uses a custom servo design to attain amazing bass in an H frame open baffle.

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member sunrayjack12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2016
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
    sounds like a cool design,

    I really like open baffle speakers and am currently listening to a pair of BG Radia 420i FS in my room. They are open baffle from 450hz up.

    from the description of your speaker, it is even more of a hybrid. I'm guessing open baffle from 1200hz down? Usually some crossover compensation is needed to attain really deep bass and a wing or H frame designed into the baffle to avoid cancelation at lower frequencies.

    You can also build GR Research open baffle sub kits if you really want to hear something special. He uses a custom servo design to attain amazing bass in an H frame open baffle.
    I am not into really deep bass, I just went over to see how deep they would go, just listening.
    They do go plenty deep for most types of music, they might not be the best choice for home theater , but for music they sound rally good.
    I had these components in some A7 cabinets and was unimpressed with the sound.
    Those same components mounted in a open baffle arrangement sounds a 100% better, way more detail and clarity in the music, individual, instruments are heard clearly.
    Everyones opinion is different on what is too much bass or not enough, I find numbers on such things useless, what matters is how does it sound to you.
    Numbers are for bragging rights, when you own it or build it, the only opinion that matters is yours, do you like how it sounds.
    I'm sure I can tweak the crossovers and may make it sound better, maybe, but I like how it sounds now so there's no reason to mess with it.
    If I do anything it will be to maybe put some wings on them and see how that affects the sound.
    I am a convert to open baffle speakers now, so I guess that makes us brothers now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ljungberg View Post
    Pictures? Sounds interesting :-)
    I will try to post pictures, I am the worlds worst at trying to get pictures on these forums.
    They really aren't anything special to look at, just a piece of 3/4 mdf 30 x 48 inches with a 511 horn mounted up high and a 515 centered below that.
    I put them together just to see what the fuss was about on open baffle sound, I was amazed, so now I will get busy and come up with a more pleasing design.
    I don't have a wife to please, but I want it to look like somebody cared.
    I will try to get some pictures up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ljungberg View Post
    Pictures? Sounds interesting :-)
    Here is a link to the album it is in, it has the aqua looking horn, i don't have a picture of both together.
    Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member
    What do you think of open baffle speakers


    jocelys1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2015
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    I've made a pair of 416s with 909 and Azura clone horns. It is an OB with the Altec 816 horn profile. Sounds good. The crossover is MiniDSP based.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    I think Altecs can sound just fine in an OB configuration. Of course, the crossover has to be right....

    9

    10
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member 604man's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2009
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    OB has well, an open sound ..i have some 6X9 trixials i use
    for amp testing with out cabinet sand They sound sweet.
    but no bass.

    I wonder how OB 604's would sound with them located in the corner
    of your living room to augment the bass........GC

  8. #8
    Junior Hostboard Member sunrayjack12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2016
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by jocelys1 View Post
    Hi, I built a Open Baffle horn loaded speaker, based on the Altec 816 design. The HF is 909-8a, with dual 416-16b's. Crossover was the MiniDSP. Sounds terrific.
    Nice speakers, I am still getting ideas together for the final product.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was just thinking about how the sound would be if I built an enclosed cabinet and put a 416 at the bottom and had the 515 above in an OB design with the horn topping it all off, 15" drivers would be wired in series, what do you think?

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member
    What do you think of open baffle speakers


    jocelys1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2015
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you think of open baffle speakers

    With the experience in my build, in hindsight I would reduce the horn mouth opening and consider H or U loading baffle for the LFs.

    Slot loading is also an option.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.